Last Updated on September 29, 2023 by Lori Walker
Have you ever had extra canned biscuits and wondered what to do with them? Can you freeze canned biscuits after opening them? Don’t worry. I’ve been there.
Good news! It’s simpler than you might think.
In this guide, I’ll show you the basics to make the most of your biscuits and not waste any. Let’s dive in and learn together.
Can I Freeze Opened Canned Biscuits?
Freezing opened canned biscuits  is possible and a convenient way to ensure you always have a quick treat ready for the oven.
Instead of letting them go to waste, spread the unbaked biscuits on a baking sheet and let them freeze until solid.
“I love food: biscuits and gravy, cheese grits, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken-fried steak with white gravy… but my favorite dish is my wife’s beanie weenie cornbread casserole. It’s so good. It sounds stupid, but if you eat it, it’s heaven. Of course, it’s only something you can eat if you’ve got a lot of money.”– Larry the Cable Guy, American Comedian
Once they’ve hardened, transfer these frozen discs of delight into a freezer-safe bag or container. Remember to label the bag with the date for easy reference.
This approach preserves the fresh taste and texture, so preheat your oven and bake the next time you crave a biscuit. No waste and you can enjoy that fresh-out-of-the-oven goodness anytime.
How Should I Store Them In The Freezer?
- Pre-Freeze Individually: Spread the unbaked biscuits on a baking sheet without them touching.
- Freeze Until Solid: Let them freeze for several hours or until they’re completely hard.
- Use Freezer Bags: Transfer the frozen biscuits to airtight, resealable freezer bags.
- Remove Excess Air: Push out as much air as possible from the bags before sealing to prevent freezer burn.
- Label and Date: Write the date and contents on the freezer bag with a permanent marker.
- Use Containers: Alternatively, store biscuits in rigid, airtight containers with a piece of parchment paper between layers.
- Store Flat: Keep the bags or containers in the freezer to maintain the shape of the biscuits.
- Consume within a Month: For best quality, use the frozen biscuits within 1-2 months, though they’ll remain safe to eat beyond this timeframe.
How Long Can I Keep Biscuits In The Freezer?
Biscuits can maintain quality for up to 2-3 months when stored correctly in the freezer. While they remain safe to eat indefinitely as long as they are kept frozen, their flavor and texture may deteriorate after 2-3 months.
To enjoy the best taste and freshness, consuming them within this timeframe is advisable.
Always ensure they’re well-sealed in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn and preserve their delightful, flaky goodness.
How Do I Bake Frozen Biscuits?
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to the temperature recommended on the biscuit package or recipe, typically around 375°F to 450°F (190°C to 232°C).
- Prepare the Baking Sheet: Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper  or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the Biscuits: Remove the biscuits from the freezer. Arrange them on the baking sheet, ensuring space between each one for even cooking.
- Adjust Baking Time: Since you’re starting with frozen biscuits, you’ll need to add a few extra minutes to the usual baking time. For instance, if the original time is 12 minutes, consider checking them at 15-18 minutes.
- Check for Doneness: When done, the biscuits should turn golden brown on top and feel firm to the touch. Inserting a toothpick into the center of a biscuit should come out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Cool Slightly: Once baked, remove the biscuits from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. This makes them easier to handle and allows them to set a bit.
- Serve and Enjoy: Transfer the biscuits to a serving basket or plate, and enjoy them while they’re still warm!
Related Post: Simple Tips To Store Pillsbury Biscuits
Will They Taste Different After Freezing?
Freezing is a great way to preserve the freshness of many foods, including biscuits. However, if not stored correctly, biscuits can absorb other flavors present in the freezer, which could affect their taste.
“When life gives you extra biscuits, freeze the moment for a warm treat tomorrow.”– Leonelli Bakery
Adequately sealed and stored biscuits generally retain their original flavor quite well. However, the texture may change: they become drier or less tender than freshly made biscuits.
It is essential to pack them tightly in airtight containers or freezer bags and consume them within a reasonable timeframe to ensure they stay close to their original taste and texture.
How long do canned biscuits last after opening?
Opened canned biscuits should be used immediately. If not baked right away, store the raw dough in the refrigerator and use it within 1-2 days for best results.
Can you leave canned biscuits at room temperature?
No, canned biscuits should not be left at room temperature once opened. Use immediately or refrigerate and use within 1-2 days.
Freezing opened canned biscuits is a practical way to prolong their shelf life and enjoy them at a later time.
You can safeguard their freshness and flavor by ensuring proper storage techniques, such as sealing them tightly in freezer-safe bags or containers.
While minor texture changes may occur after thawing, they can still offer a delightful taste with the proper reheating method.
So, the next time you’re unsure about finishing an opened can quickly, remember freezing is a viable option.
- How to Make Cornmeal Pudding: Step-by-Step Guide - December 1, 2023
- How to Make Cornbread Without Cornmeal: Easy Alternatives - November 28, 2023
- How Long Does Cornmeal Last? Shelf Life & Storage Tips - November 27, 2023