Last Updated on May 8, 2023 by Lori Walker
Regarding baking, buttercream is one of the most popular types of frosting for cakes and other desserts. But have you ever wondered how long buttercream could last in the fridge?
Let’s find out how long buttercream can last in the fridge, how to store it properly, and what types of buttercream last the longest.
We’ll also provide tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your buttercream. Keep reading.
How Long Is Buttercream Good For In The Fridge?
The good news is that buttercream can stay in the refrigerator for up to one month if stored properly.
Buttercream  frosting is a popular and versatile topping for cakes and cupcakes. Since it is made with dairy, it must be kept refrigerated.
To ensure your buttercream lasts its longest, store it in an airtight container or wrap it in cling wrap. You also want to ensure nothing else in your refrigerator touches or comes into contact with the buttercream.
The temperature of your refrigerator should be 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. Any higher, and the buttercream can spoil more quickly.
If the buttercream is exposed to temperatures above 40 degrees for an extended period, it can start to separate, resulting in an unappealing texture and an off-taste.
If you notice any changes in your buttercream’s consistency, texture, or smell, it is best to discard it and make a fresh batch. Find out how long carrot cake can stay good in the fridge here.
Can You Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze the buttercream.
Most buttercream recipes are made with butter, sugar, and milk, which all freeze well. If you make a batch of buttercream that is too much for your needs, it can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to use the buttercream, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and re-whip it until it is light and fluffy. Find out if you can put the cake in the fridge to cool it down here.
How To Soften Buttercream After Being In The Fridge?
If your buttercream has become too hard after being in the fridge, there are a few easy ways to soften it up. Start by microwaving a small bowl of water for about 30 seconds.
Once it’s warm, place the bowl of water and buttercream near each other. The warmth of the water should help to soften the buttercream.
You can also use a stand or hand mixer to beat the buttercream to soften it up.
Finally, add a few drops of warm water or some vegetable oil and mix until you achieve the desired consistency. But how long can you store bread dough in the fridge?
Can It Be Left Out At Room Temperature?
Yes, buttercream can be left out at room temperature. Buttercream is made of butter and sugar, which are quite hard and can be stored at room temperature without any risk of spoilage.
“Everything tastes better with butter. Meat that has fat in it is tender in a certain way, flavorful in a certain way. It’s hard to deny the flavor quotient there. “– Alice Waters, American Chef
It is a great idea to leave buttercream out at room temperature for a few hours before using it, as it will become easier to work with.
However, it is important to keep buttercream away from direct sunlight and heat sources, as the high temperatures can cause the butter to melt, ruining the texture and flavor of the buttercream.
Find out how long frosting will last in the refrigerator here.
Signs That Buttercream Is Spoiled
- Off-smelling odor: If your buttercream has an unpleasant odor, it’s likely spoiled.
- Change in color: If your buttercream is different from when you made it, it’s likely spoiled.
- Texture: If your buttercream is gritty or lumpy, it’s likely spoiled.
- Mold: If you see any mold  in your buttercream, it’s spoiled and should be discarded.
Find out how long Cotsco cheesecake last in the fridge here.
Tips On How To Extend the Shelf Life Of Buttercream
- Refrigerate it: Buttercream frosting will last up to a week when stored in the refrigerator. Before storing, make sure to seal it in an airtight container.
- Freeze it: Buttercream frosting can last up to 3 months when stored in the freezer. To freeze, spoon into an airtight container and place in the freezer. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- Use High-Quality Ingredients: Using high-quality, fresh ingredients will help your buttercream frosting last longer.
- Add Preservatives: Adding a small amount of food-grade preservatives, such as lemon juice or cream of tartar, can help extend the shelf life of buttercream frosting.
- Use Powdered Sugar: Using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar can help prevent the buttercream from separating or curdling.
- Avoid Overmixing: Overmixing buttercream frosting can lead to separation and an undesirable texture. To prevent this, mix the ingredients on low speed and avoid overmixing.
- Avoid Excessive Heat: Excessive heat can cause buttercream frosting to melt. To prevent this, store buttercream in a cool, dry place.
- How Long Does Chocolate Mousse Last In The Refrigerator?
- How Long Does Pastry Cream Last In The Refrigerator?
How long does buttercream last on a cake?
Buttercream can last several days, depending on the recipe and the storage conditions. If stored in a cool, dry place, it should last up to 4 days. If stored in the refrigerator, it can last up to 1 week.
Find out how you can save the messed-up icing on your cake here.
Should you refrigerate buttercream frosting before piping?
Yes, it is best to refrigerate buttercream frosting before piping as it helps to firm up the buttercream, making it easier to pipe.
How far in advance can I make buttercream?
You can make buttercream a few days in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. If you want to make it further in advance, you can freeze it and thaw it in the refrigerator when needed.
Find out if you can make the cake batter in advance here.
Buttercream can last up to a month in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
It should be brought to room temperature before use and used within a few days of making it. If it has been stored properly, buttercream can last for up to a month in the freezer.
If unsure, always check the date on the package or container when you store buttercream in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Jenn Air vs KitchenAid Stand Mixers: What’s the Difference? - June 5, 2023
- KitchenAid Artisan vs Ultra Power Stand Mixers (2023 Guide) - June 5, 2023
- Smeg Mixer vs KitchenAid: What’s the Difference? (2023) - June 4, 2023