Last Updated on April 24, 2023 by Lori Walker
Churros are a delicious Spanish dessert that has gained popularity worldwide. They are typically made using a pastry bag to pipe the dough into the hot oil, but only some have a pastry bag at home.
Fear not, because making churros without a pastry bag is possible. We will show you how to make churros without a pastry bag by using what you have in the kitchen.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this recipe is easy to follow and will result in crispy, golden churros that are sure to impress. So, let’s get started.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Churros Without A Pastry Bag?
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of flour
These ingredients are the basic ones for making churros. However, add ingredients, such as cinnamon or vanilla extract , for added flavor.
Additionally, once they’re done, you will need some vegetable oil for frying the churros and some cinnamon and sugar for coating them.
How Do You Make The Dough?
- In a medium-sized pot, combine 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Heat the mixture on medium-high heat, constantly stirring, until it boils.
- Remove the pot from heat and add 1 cup of flour.
- Stir the mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon until the flour is fully incorporated and the dough has formed.
- Once the dough is formed, transfer it to a plastic bag and seal it shut, removing any air pockets.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag, or attach a piping tip if you have one to squeeze the dough out of the bag in the desired shape.
How Do You Shape The Churros Without A Pastry Bag?
To shape the churros without a pastry bag, you will need a plastic bag and a pair of scissors. Once you have made the churro dough, scoop it into the plastic bag and seal it shut.
Then, use your fingers to flatten the dough inside the bag until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag with the scissors, or attach a piping tip if you have one.
Squeeze the dough out of the bag and into the hot oil, using scissors or a knife to cut the dough to the desired length. You can make them straight or in a traditional spiral shape.
The churros should be about 4-6 inches long, depending on your preference. Check out these ways to frost cupcakes without using a piping bag here.
How Long Do You Fry The Churros?
To fry the churros, heat a medium-sized pot with vegetable oil, around 2 inches deep, until it reaches 350-375°F. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the churros to the pot, ensuring they are not overcrowded.
“Nothing could be more French than pastry.”– Rachel Khoo, Cook & Author
Fry the churros until golden brown, around 2-3 minutes per side. Use a slotted spoon to remove the churros from the oil and place them onto a paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
If you have a lot of churros  to fry, you can keep them warm in a 200°F oven until they are all done. The key is ensuring the oil is hot enough and watching the churros closely so they don’t burn.
How Can You Serve The Churros?
- Cinnamon and sugar – the traditional way to serve churros is to sprinkle them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar while they are still warm.
- Chocolate sauce – dipping churros in chocolate sauce is a popular option. You can make a simple chocolate sauce by melting chocolate chips with heavy cream.
- Dulce de leche – this sweet, caramel-like sauce is a popular topping for churros. You can make your own dulce de leche by slowly heating sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan until it thickens and turns caramel-colored.
- Whipped cream – serving churros with a dollop of whipped cream is a decadent and delicious option.
- Ice cream – you can serve churros with a scoop of your favorite ice cream flavor for a relaxed and creamy treat.
Also Read: How Do You Know If Ice Cream Has Gone Bad?
What can I use if I don’t have a piping bag for churros?
If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a plastic bag with a small corner cut-off to shape the churros. But what exactly does a pastry blender do?
How do you use a Ziploc bag for churros?
A Ziploc bag for churros is an easy alternative to a pastry bag. Transfer the churro dough into a Ziploc bag, seal it shut, and cut off one of the corners to create a small opening.
Squeeze the dough out of the bag and into the hot oil to fry the churros in the desired shape.
The opening size can be adjusted based on the thickness of the churros you want to create. Check out these cookie storage containers to keep your baked cookies fresh here.
Making churros without a pastry bag is a simple and fun process that anyone can do. With a few essential ingredients and some kitchen tools, you can create delicious, crispy churros that will impress you.
Following the step-by-step guide, you can make the churro dough and shape it using a plastic or Ziploc bag.
Then, fry the churros until golden brown and serve them warm with toppings such as cinnamon and sugar, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, or ice cream.