Last Updated on April 20, 2023 by Lori Walker
Cinnamon rolls are a beloved baked treat that many people worldwide enjoy. While the rolls are delicious, the icing on top takes them to the next level.
However, many traditional cinnamon roll icing recipes call for powdered sugar, which may need to be more readily available or desirable for some people.
Fortunately, there are several ways on how to make cinnamon roll icing without powdered sugar.
Whether you’re looking for a healthier alternative or don’t have any powdered sugar on hand, these recipes can help you create a delicious and satisfying topping for your cinnamon rolls.
What Are Some Alternatives To Powdered Sugar For Making Cinnamon Roll Icing?
- Granulated Sugar: One of the easiest alternatives to powdered sugar is granulated sugar. Mix granulated sugar, milk, or cream, and a pinch of salt until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Honey: Honey is a natural sweetener that can provide a unique flavor to cinnamon roll icing. Mix honey and milk or cream until it reaches the desired consistency. You can add a pinch of cinnamon or vanilla extract for extra flavor.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup can provide natural sweetness and a distinctive flavor to cinnamon roll icing. Mix maple syrup  and milk or cream until it reaches the desired consistency. You can also add a pinch of salt or cinnamon for extra flavor.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese can create rich and creamy icing without powdered sugar. Mix softened cream cheese, butter, milk, or cream, and a sweetener like honey or maple syrup until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Butter and Milk: A simple icing can be made by mixing melted butter, milk, and a sweetener such as honey or maple syrup. Adjust the amount of sweetener and liquid to achieve the desired consistency and taste.
How Can You Make A Glaze For Cinnamon Rolls?
To make a glaze for cinnamon rolls without powdered sugar, you can combine melted butter, milk, or cream and a sweetener such as honey or maple syrup.
Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan over low heat, then add the sweetener and stir until it dissolves.
Gradually add the milk or cream, constantly whisking, until the glaze reaches the desired consistency. If you prefer a thicker glaze, you can reduce the liquid or add a small amount of cornstarch to thicken it.
You can add a pinch of cinnamon or vanilla extract for extra flavor. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cinnamon rolls and enjoy a delicious and easy-to-make treat.
But how can you make canned cinnamon rolls better here?
Can You Use Cornstarch To Thicken Cinnamon Roll Icing Without Powdered Sugar?
Yes, cornstarch can thicken cinnamon roll icing without powdered sugar. Mix cornstarch with a small amount of milk or cream to create a slurry, then add it to the icing mixture and whisk until it thickens.
This method can be beneficial when making cream cheese icing, as it can help to stabilize the mixture and prevent it from becoming too runny.
“Pastry is different from cooking because you have to consider the chemistry, beauty, and flavor. It’s not just sugar and eggs thrown together. I tell my pastry chefs to be in tune for all of this. You have to be challenged by using secret or unusual ingredients.” – Ron Ben-Israel, Israeli-American Pastry Chef
Remember that you may need to adjust the amount of cornstarch  depending on how thick you want the icing to be, as too much can make it overly thick and lumpy.
It’s always best to add the cornstarch slurry gradually until you achieve the desired consistency.
Tips For Making Cinnamon Roll Icing Without Powdered Sugar
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Ingredients can help create smoother and creamier icing.
- Adjust Liquid and Sweetener: Adjust the amount of liquid and sweetener to achieve the desired consistency and taste. If you’re using a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup, you may need to use more to achieve the desired level of sweetness.
- Use cornstarch as a Thickener: If you need to thicken the icing, use cornstarch. Mix cornstarch with a small amount of milk or cream, then add it to the icing mixture and whisk until it thickens.
- Add Flavors: Add flavors such as vanilla extract, cinnamon, or nutmeg to the icing to enhance the flavor.
- Taste and Adjust: Remember to taste and adjust the icing as needed, as everyone’s preferences for sweetness and flavor may vary.
Related Post: Is Baking Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls In A Microwave Possible?
How to make cinnamon roll icing without vanilla?
Instead of vanilla, add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to your cinnamon roll icing for extra warmth and depth of flavor.
You can also use other extracts, such as almond or maple, for a unique twist. Alternatively, you can omit the extract and use milk or cream, butter, powdered sugar (or an alternative sweetener) to make a basic icing.
Check out these steps to cook Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls in an air fryer here.
Can you make powdered sugar from regular sugar?
Yes, you can make powdered sugar from regular granulated sugar. All you need is a blender or food processor and regular granulated sugar. Add the granulated sugar to the blender or food processor and blend until it turns into a fine powder.
Making cinnamon roll icing without powdered sugar is accessible and achievable with several alternatives.
Whether you’re looking for a healthier option or don’t have powdered sugar on hand, there are many ingredients you can use to create delicious and creamy icing.
Several options can provide unique flavors and textures, from granulated sugar, honey, and maple syrup, to cream cheese, butter, and milk.
Cornstarch can be used as a thickener, and vanilla extract can be substituted with other flavors, such as cinnamon or almond extract.
The key is to adjust the ingredients to achieve the desired consistency and taste.
- Ankarsrum vs KitchenAid Stand Mixers: What’s the Difference? - June 7, 2023
- Jenn Air vs KitchenAid Stand Mixers: What’s the Difference? - June 5, 2023
- KitchenAid Artisan vs Ultra Power Stand Mixers (2023 Guide) - June 5, 2023