Last Updated on March 16, 2023 by Lori Walker
Pumpkin pie is a classic dessert that’s perfect for any fall occasion. But have you ever wondered how to put those beautiful golden leaves on your pumpkin pie?
Adding decorative pie crust cutouts is a simple way to elevate the presentation of your pumpkin pie and make it look as good as it tastes.
We’ll take you through the steps of how to put leaves on pumpkin pie, including tips and tricks to make your pie look professional and impressive.
So get ready to impress your family and friends with a beautifully decorated pumpkin pie that’s as delicious as stunning.
8 Steps On How To Put Pretty Leaves On Pumpkin Pie
- Make your pie crust dough. You can use your favorite recipe or store-bought dough. Add food coloring to the dough to make the leaves look more realistic if desired.
- Roll out your pie crust dough to the desired thickness. Use a leaf-shaped cookie cutter or a knife to cut out leaf shapes from the dough.
- Place the pie crust leaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the leaves with an egg wash to give them a glossy finish. Use a toothpick or knife to create vein-like lines on the leaves.
- Preheat your oven according to your pumpkin pie recipe’s instructions. While the oven is preheating, arrange the pie crust leaves on top of the unbaked pumpkin pie  in a decorative pattern.
- Press down lightly on the edges of the leaves to adhere them to the pie crust. Ensure the leaves are evenly spaced and cover as much of the pie as desired.
- Cover the edges of the pie crust  with foil to prevent them from over-browning during baking.
- Bake the pumpkin pie according to your recipe’s instructions. Adjust the baking time if needed to account for the extra thickness of the leaves. The leaves should be golden brown, and the pie filling should be set when done.
- Remove the pumpkin pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before serving. Cut the pie into slices, ensuring each slice has a few pie crust leaves on top.
What Materials Do You Need To Make Pie Crust Leaves?
Firstly, you will need pie crust dough, which can be homemade or store-bought. You will also need a leaf-shaped cookie cutter or a knife to cut out the leaf shapes from the dough.
“I’d bet most of America’s refrigerators have leftover pumpkin pie on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It’s delicious the first couple of times you eat it, but then what?”– Steve Doocy, American Television Host
Additionally, you will need a rolling pin to roll out the dough to the desired thickness, a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to bake the leaves, and a pastry brush to brush the leaves with egg wash for a glossy finish.
Food coloring can also be added to the dough to give the leaves a more realistic look. You can easily make beautiful pie crust leaves to decorate your pumpkin pie with these materials.
How Do You Bake Pumpkin Pie With The Leaves?
Once you’ve arranged the pie crust leaves on your pumpkin pie, it’s time to bake it. Follow your pumpkin pie recipe’s instructions for baking, but make sure to adjust the baking time if needed to account for the extra thickness of the leaves.
You can cover the edges of the pie crust with foil if they start to brown too quickly. Keep an eye on the leaves during baking to ensure they don’t burn or become too dark.
Once the pumpkin pie is done, please remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before serving. With the beautiful pie crust leaves on top, your pumpkin pie will look as good as it tastes.
How Do You Store The Pumpkin Pie With The Leaves?
If you’re not serving the pumpkin pie immediately, it’s essential to store it properly to keep the leaves from drying out. Once the pie has cooled to room temperature, cover it with plastic wrap or foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Store the pie in a shallow container to prevent the leaves from getting squished. When ready to serve, let the pie come to room temperature before cutting it.
Storing the pumpkin pie properly ensures that the beautiful pie crust leaves stay fresh and intact until you’re ready to enjoy your delicious dessert.
How do you make pie decorations stick?
You can make pie decorations stick by brushing the bottom of the decoration with egg wash or milk before placing it on the crust. The liquid acts as a glue, helping the decoration adhere to the crust during baking.
You can also use a small amount of water or cornstarch mixed with water as a substitute for egg wash or milk. Be sure to press down gently on the decoration to help it adhere to the crust.
When to add decorations to pumpkin pie?
You should add decorations to the pumpkin pie after filling it and just before baking. This ensures the decorations stay in place during baking and become beautifully browned with the pie crust.
Adding pie crust leaves to your pumpkin pie is a simple yet effective way to make it look more festive and impressive. With a few basic materials and creativity, you can easily create beautiful pie crust leaves and arrange them on top of your pumpkin pie like a pro.
Remember to adjust the baking time if needed to account for the extra thickness of the leaves and to store the pumpkin pie properly to keep the leaves fresh and intact.
Following the steps outlined in this guide, you can create a stunning pumpkin pie that will be the centerpiece of any fall gathering. So go ahead and give it a try – your family and friends will be impressed with your baking skill.
- How Long Does Chocolate Pie Last In The Fridge? Solved (2023) - March 20, 2023
- How Long Does Canned Apple Butter Last? Answered (2023) - March 20, 2023
- How To Puree Without Food Processor: Explained (2023) - March 19, 2023