Last Updated on October 13, 2023 by Lori Walker
Fruitcake is one of those desserts that can be divisive. Some people love it, while others can’t stand it. But what exactly is it about fruitcake that turns people off?
Our team examined what fruitcake tastes like and explored why it may be an acquired taste.
How Would You Describe The Taste Of Fruit Cake?
Fruitcake has a distinct taste that can be described as rich, dense, sweet, and slightly tangy.
The combination of dried fruits such as raisins, currants, candied citrus peel, nuts, and spices gives it a complex flavor profile that is both sweet and savory.
The texture is dense and moist, often chewy and slightly sticky from the candied fruit. But why do some people hate fruitcakes?
What Is Fruit Cake Made Of?
Fruitcake  is a traditional cake that is typically served during the holiday season. It is made of a combination of dried fruits, such as raisins, cherries, currants, nuts, spices, and sometimes alcohol.
“My favorite fruit is grapes. Because with grapes, you always get another chance. Because, you know, if you have a crappy apple or a peach, you’re stuck with that crappy piece of fruit. But if you have a crappy grape, no problem – just move on to the next. ‘Grapes: The Fruit of Hope.'”– Demetri Martin, American Comedian
The fruits are soaked in alcohol, usually rum or brandy, for several days or weeks to infuse them with flavor and keep them moist.
The cake is usually made with flour, sugar, eggs, and butter or oil and is then mixed with the soaked fruit and nuts. The resulting cake is dense, rich, and packed with flavor. Find out what Biscoff tastes like here.
What Are The Different Varieties Of Fruit Cake?
- British fruitcake: This dense, rich cake is made with dried fruit such as currants, raisins, and candied peel, along with butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. It is often flavored with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and soaked in brandy  or rum.
- American fruitcake: This cake resembles the British version but often includes additional ingredients like nuts and dates. It is typically baked in a loaf pan and served plain or with a glaze or frosting.
- Italian panettone: This tall, domed cake is traditionally made with candied orange, lemon, and citron peel, as well as raisins, and is flavored with vanilla and almond extracts. It has a light, airy texture and is often served with coffee or sweet wine.
- German stollen: This dense, sweet cake is made with dried fruit, nuts, spices, and marzipan and is often covered in powdered sugar. It is traditionally eaten during the Christmas season.
- Japanese Christmas cake: This sponge cake is typically filled with whipped cream and decorated with strawberries and other fresh fruit. It is a popular dessert during the holiday season in Japan.
Find out what nutmeg smells like here.
Why Do People Dislike Fruit Cake?
People may dislike fruitcakes for various reasons. One of the most common reasons is the texture, which can be dense and heavy due to the ingredients and baking process.
Another reason is the fruit and nut mix, which some people may find too sweet or artificial. Some people also dislike the alcohol content, which can be overpowering in some fruitcake recipes.
Finally, some people may have had a bad experience with poorly made fruitcake, leading to a negative perception of the dessert as a whole. But how does meringue taste?
How Can You Enjoy Fruit Cake?
If you want fruit cake, pair it with tea or coffee. The flavors of the cake can be balanced out with the bitterness of the tea or coffee.
Try toasting a slice of fruit cake and adding a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top to make it more enjoyable.
If you don’t like the taste of fruit cake, add it to other desserts, such as trifles or bread puddings, to add extra flavor and texture.
Also Read: How Does The Angel Food Cake Taste?
What is unique about fruit cake?
Fruitcake is a unique dessert that is typically associated with holiday celebrations. One of the things that makes it unique is its dense, moist texture, achieved by soaking the cake in alcohol or fruit juice.
It is also packed with various fruits and nuts, giving it a distinct flavor and texture. Find out what custard taste like here.
Is fruitcake a Christmas cake?
Fruitcake is commonly associated with Christmas and other winter holidays.
It is often served during the holiday season as a traditional dessert, and many people have grown up with the tradition of enjoying fruitcake during this time of year.
The taste of fruit cake can vary depending on the ingredients and recipe. Generally, fruit cake tastes sweet and dense, mixing fruits, nuts, and spices. Some may find it too heavy or sweet, while others enjoy the rich and complex flavors.
Regardless of personal preferences, fruit cake is a unique and traditional dessert often associated with the holiday season and can be enjoyed in various ways.
- How to Make Cornmeal Pudding: Step-by-Step Guide - December 1, 2023
- How to Make Cornbread Without Cornmeal: Easy Alternatives - November 28, 2023
- How Long Does Cornmeal Last? Shelf Life & Storage Tips - November 27, 2023