Last Updated on April 27, 2023 by Lori Walker
Are you wondering if you can cool a cake in the fridge? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Let’s discuss the different methods for cooling a cake in the fridge and the potential risks and benefits of doing so.
We’ll also explain why some cakes need to be cooled in the fridge and provide tips for ensuring that your cake is cooled quickly and safely. Keep reading.
Is It Okay To Cool A Cake In The Fridge?
Yes, it is okay to cool a cake in the fridge. In fact, is it the fastest way to do so.
Cooling a cake  in the fridge will help set the cake and make it easier to decorate. It is also a great way to keep cakes moist, as the cold air will help prevent the cake from drying out.
To cool a cake in the fridge, let it cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Then, place the cake in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. Allow the cake to cool in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
Once cooled, take the cake out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before decorating. If you are in a hurry, it is possible to cool a cake in the freezer.
Place the cake in an airtight container and place it in the freezer.
“A party without cake is just a meeting.”— Julia Child, Chef
Allow the cake to cool in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Once cooled, take the cake out of the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before decorating.
However, it is important not to leave the cake in the freezer for too long, as this can cause the cake to dry out.
But can you stack a tres leches cake?
Different Methods For Cooling A Cake In The Fridge
- Place the cake on a cooling rack: Place it on a cooling rack in the refrigerator. This will allow air to circulate and cool the cake quickly.
- Wrap in plastic wrap: Wrap the cake and place it in the refrigerator. This will help lock in moisture and keep the cake from drying.
- Place cake in an airtight container: Place the cake in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. This will prevent the cake from drying out and help keep it cool.
- Place cake in the freezer: Place the cake in the freezer for a few minutes. This will help to cool the cake quickly and prevent the cake from drying out.
- Can You Cool A Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting In The Fridge?
- Can You Cool A Pineapple Upside Down Cake In The Fridge?
- Can You Prepare Cake Batter In Advance?
- How Much Does It Cost To Buy A Smash Cake?
Risks And Benefits Of Cooling In The Fridge
- The cake may become too cold, which could cause the cake to become dry and crumbly.
- If it is left in the fridge for too long, the cake could absorb other flavors and odors from the fridge.
- If the cake is not properly wrapped, it could become stale or moldy.
- Refrigerating a cake can help preserve its flavor and moisture for several days.
- It can also help to prevent the cake from drying out.
- Refrigerating a cake can also help to prevent the growth of bacteria  or other microorganisms.
Also Read: How Long Do Birthday Cakes Last In The Refrigerator?
Tips On How To Cool Your Cake Quickly and Safely
- Place your cake in the refrigerator: The cold temperature of the refrigerator will help cool the cake quickly and safely. Make sure the cake is covered in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container before placing it in the refrigerator.
- Place your cake in the freezer: Placing it in the freezer is a quick and safe way to cool it. Ensure the cake is covered in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container before placing it in the freezer.
- Use an ice bath: Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice cubes and place the cake in the water. This will help the cake cool faster, but ensure it is in an airtight container before placing it in the water.
- Use a fan: Place a fan in front of the cake and turn it on. This will help cool the cake quickly but ensure the fan is not blowing directly on the cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator with cool packs: Place the cake in the refrigerator and add cool packs around it. This will help cool the cake quickly and safely.
Also Read: 10 Savory Cakes That Aren’t Too Sweet
How long should you let the cake cool before cutting?
Most cakes should cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. If the cake is a layer, you should cool it for 30 minutes before frosting.
Find out how much you should charge for your cake pops here.
Can you cool a cake without a cooling rack?
Yes, you can cool a cake without a cooling rack by placing it on a flat surface, such as a countertop or cutting board. Alternatively, you can place the cake on a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet or tray.
Find out how long muffins can be kept in the refrigerator here.
How long does a cake take to cool before frosting?
Most cakes should cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting. Depending on the type of cake and frosting, the cooling time can vary from 30 minutes to several hours.
Is it better to put a cake in the fridge or leave it out?
It is best to leave a cake out, as refrigeration can dry out the cake. If you must store the cake in the refrigerator, ensure it is in an airtight container.
Can you put a hot cake in the fridge?
You can, but we do not recommend it, as there’s a tendency that the cake will be cool on the outside but hot in the middle.
Find out how long buttercream will last in the refrigerator here.
In conclusion, cooling a cake in the fridge can be done, but it is not recommended. The fridge can cause the cake to dry and become soggy.
It is better to let the cake cool slowly on the countertop. If time is a factor, a fan can help speed up the cooling process.
- Cottage Bread vs White Bread: What’s the Difference? (2023) - May 27, 2023
- How To Make Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls Better: Full Guide - May 27, 2023
- What Frosting Goes With Lemon Cake? Our 5 picks (2023) - May 26, 2023