Last Updated on August 31, 2023 by Lori Walker
Silicone molds are becoming increasingly popular in the kitchen due to their versatility and ease of use. From making delicious desserts to creating unique crafts, silicone molds are an excellent tool for any cook or crafter.
But the question remains, can you put a silicone mold in the oven? We have the answer below.
Is It Okay To Put Silicone Mold In The Oven?
Yes, silicone molds are generally safe to use in the oven, microwave, and freezer.
When using silicone  molds in the oven, it is important to remember that not all are created equal. Before considering using a silicone mold in the oven, it is important to check the manufacturer’s instructions.
“A juicy chicken breast can be the perfect accompaniment to a classic Caesar salad or a club sandwich. It’s also easy to cook, and can be as simple as dressing it with a few spices and popping in the oven.”– Marcus Samuelsson, Ethiopian-Swedish Chef
It is also important to remember that the silicone mold should be placed on a baking sheet before being placed in the oven and should be covered with aluminum foil to prevent it from burning or discoloring.
Additionally, it is important to remember to use oven mitts when handling the silicone mold, as it will become hot during baking.
How To Use Silicone Molds In Oven
- Preheat your oven to the temperature indicated in your recipe.
- Grease the inside of the silicone molds with cooking spray or butter.
- Place the silicone molds on a baking sheet.
- Fill the molds with your desired ingredients.
- Place the baking sheet with the molds in the preheated oven.
- Bake according to the recipe instructions.
- Once finished baking, remove the silicone molds from the oven and place them on a cooling rack.
- Allow the silicone molds to cool completely before removing the finished product.
How To Remove Cake From Silicone Mold
- Place the silicone mold on a flat surface.
- Place a knife in the gap between the cake and the silicone mold.
- Gently pry the cake away from the sides of the silicone mold using the knife.
- Once you have released the sides of the cake from the mold, gently twist the mold to release the cake.
- Carefully remove the cake from the silicone mold.
Baking With Silicone Molds
Baking with silicone molds is an excellent alternative to traditional baking methods. The material is non-stick, heat resistant, and can withstand high temperatures.
This makes it the perfect choice for baking cakes, cookies , and other baked goods. Moreover, the temperature range for baking with silicone molds is generally lower than with metal pans, making them safer and easier to use.
Silicone molds also distribute heat more evenly, ensuring that your baked goods come out evenly cooked and delicious.
How Do You Keep A Cake From Sticking To The Mold?
When baking a cake in a silicone mold, the best way to keep it from sticking is to grease it before adding the batter. Using a small amount of oil or butter, lightly coat the interior of the mold before pouring in the batter.
This will create a barrier between the cake and the mold, helping to ensure an easy release once the cake has finished baking.
Additionally, it is recommended to cool the cake for 10-15 minutes before removing it from the mold to ensure it does not stick.
Tips For Safely Using Silicone Molds In The Oven
- Make sure to use oven-safe silicone molds for baking. Not all silicone molds are safe for use in the oven.
- Grease the molds generously before filling them with batter. This will help prevent sticking.
- Preheat your oven before using the molds. This will ensure even baking.
- Place the molds on a baking sheet before placing them in the oven. This will help them heat evenly and prevent burning.
- Reduce the baking time using a silicone mold. Silicone molds can bake faster than metal or glass pans, so reduce the time recommended in the recipe by a few minutes.
- Allow the silicone molds to cool before removing the baked item. This will ensure the item is fully cooked and prevent it from sticking.
- Use oven mitts when handling hot silicone molds.
- What Is The Ideal Size Of A Dutch Oven For Sourdough Bread?
- What Makes Your Oven Smell Like A Burning Plastic?
Can you bake a cake in a silicone mold?
Yes, you can bake a cake in a silicone mold. Silicone molds are heat-resistant and non-stick, making them a great choice for baking cakes.
Do you put silicone bakeware directly on the oven rack?
It would help to never put silicone bakeware directly on a hot oven rack. Instead, it should always be placed on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan before being placed in the oven.
Silicone molds can be put in the oven, but with caution. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to determine your particular silicone mold’s maximum temperature and baking time.
Additionally, always use oven mitts and baking sheets when removing the molds from the oven.
Lastly, to maintain their shape and avoid burning the molds, make sure to place them on a flat and even surface.